We’ve provided some handy tips to get you started.
- Use packaging materials such as cartons, paper, tape and bubble wrap to protect your goods.
- Do not overfill boxes as they will be harder to stack and may tip.
- Heavy items should be packed in smaller boxes to make them easier to handle.
- Books should be packed flat.
- Label each box as you pack, so you can easily find items in storage.
- White goods should be clean and dry before storing.
- Freezer and fridge doors should be secured slightly ajar to air, a deodoriser placed inside helps!
- Keep fridges and freezers empty, as the shelves and linings can be easily marked or damaged.
- Do not store food in fridges or freezers.
- Empty wardrobes, cupboards and drawers to protect the shelving and structure.
- Use drop sheets or covers to help protect your furniture.
- To save space, remove legs from tables, beds, etc.
- Personal items and clothing should be packed in secure cartons with mothballs, lavender, naphthalene, or similar repellent to assist in protecting your goods.
- Handle with care, this equipment is very delicate.
- Use original boxes where possible, wrap items individually in bubble wrap before you pack them.
- Use paper or linen to fill any gaps in cartons.
- Plasma TVs should be protected with bubble wrap or similar, and stored upright.
- Remove batteries to avoid damage from leaking batteries.
- Drain fuel and oil from machinery; this will reduce the risk of leaks and damage to other items in your storage space.
- Store vehicles and mowers with minimal fuel – petrol and oil are a fire hazard.
- Disconnect the battery from vehicles, this will prolong the life of the battery.
- Wrap fragile items individually in packing paper – avoid using newspaper, as it can be very messy.
- Stand platters, saucers plates, and casseroles on their edge; nest cups and bowls.
- Pack items of crockery into smaller cartons to make easier to handle.
- Use scrunched up paper or linen to fill any gaps when packing – place a layer of packing at the bottom and top of cartons containing breakables.
- Avoid storing heavy items on top of glassware & crockery.
NEED A HAND WITH ANYTHING?
Call now - 0800 364 632
Whether you need a small space for a few boxes, or a garage for your vehicle, we have everything you need. Explore our range of unit sizes & prices or get in touch to find out more.
On-site manager for your peace of mind.
Easy access units for your convenience.
Plenty of self storage options available!
Secure site with monitored security & scan card entry.
No more posts to load.
Load More Posts